- What are the types of supercomputer?
- What are supercomputers and what are their applications?
- How many supercomputers are there?
- What are 3 characteristic of the supercomputer?
- What defines a supercomputer?
- How big is a supercomputer?
- What are the uses of supercomputers?
- Does NASA use supercomputers?
- What companies use supercomputers?
- Who has the best supercomputer?
- What is the fastest PC in the world?
- What is the smartest computer in the world?
- Why are supercomputers important?
- Why do we need supercomputers?
- How do you describe a motherboard?
What are the types of supercomputer?
The Top Five Supercomputers, Illustrated
- Like this story?
- JAGUAR, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- NEBULAE, China.
- ROADRUNNER, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- KRAKEN, National Institute for Computational Sciences.
- JUGENE, Juelich Supercomputing Centre, Germany.
- PLEIADES, NASA Ames Research Center.
- TIANHE-1, China.
What are supercomputers and what are their applications?
Common applications for supercomputers include testing mathematical models for complex physical phenomena or designs, such as climate and weather, evolution of the cosmos, nuclear weapons and reactors, new chemical compounds (especially for pharmaceutical purposes), and cryptology.
How many supercomputers are there?
Certainly thousands, maybe over ten thousand. Since 1993, the site top500.org has listed the world’s top 500 supercomputers. It just published its latest list this month, and for the fist time in six years, the US is back in the lead. Six of the top 10 supercomputers are now in the US.
What are 3 characteristic of the supercomputer?
Characteristics of a Supercomputer
- Funnels capacity into a few programs as quickly as possible.
- Power measured in massive numbers. FLOPS — FLoating-point Operations Per Second. Teraflops. One trillion operations every second. 10 to the 12th power (1012) 1,000,000,000,000. Petaflops. One quadrillion calculations every second.
What defines a supercomputer?
A supercomputer is a computer that performs at or near the currently highest operational rate for computers. Traditionally, supercomputers have been used for scientific and engineering applications that must handle very large databases or do a great amount of computation (or both).
How big is a supercomputer?
The supercomputer — which fills a server room the size of two tennis courts — can spit out answers to 200 quadrillion (or 200 with 15 zeros) calculations per second, or 200 petaflops, according to Oak Ridge National Laboratory, where the supercomputer resides.
What are the uses of supercomputers?
Supercomputers play an important role in the field of computational science, and are used for a wide range of computationally intensive tasks in various fields, including quantum mechanics, weather forecasting, climate research, oil and gas exploration, molecular modeling (computing the structures and properties of
Does NASA use supercomputers?
Pleiades, one of the world’s most powerful supercomputers, represents NASA’s state-of-the-art technology for meeting the agency’s supercomputing requirements, enabling NASA scientists and engineers to conduct modeling and simulation for NASA projects.
What companies use supercomputers?
Have a look at the top ten companies that are supplying the super machines of today.
- IBM. Cores: 7,346,514. Machines: 153.
- HP. Cores: 3,747,812. Machines: 179.
- Cray. Cores: 3,583,180. Machines: 62.
- NUDT. Cores: 3,547,648. Machines: 5.
- Fujitsu. Cores: 915,974. Machines: 8.
- SGI. Cores: 813,376.
- Dell. Cores: 618,396.
- Bull. Cores: 588,120.
Who has the best supercomputer?
China currently dominates the list with 229 supercomputers, leading the second place (United States) by a record margin of 121. Since June 2018, the American Summit is the world’s most powerful supercomputer, reaching 143.5 petaFLOPS on the LINPACK benchmarks.
What is the fastest PC in the world?
The fastest PC on the planet was the aim and from this, the world’s number one overclocker 8Pack was taken on board, and the 8Pack Supernova was born. All of the fastest hardware cherry-picked giving the best cooling possible, overclocked and tuned to reach the ultimate goal.
What is the smartest computer in the world?
In terms of pure speed, the smartest is China’s Tianhe. But we also looked at computers that are incredibly good at a certain task. Watson is the best Jeopardy playing computer, just like there’s a best weather predicting computer.
Why are supercomputers important?
Why are supercomputers important? Supercomputers allow us to understand things that are too difficult to see or measure in real life. For example, they may be too big, too small, too dangerous, to quick, too slow, etc. Many of these things are very important to us.
Why do we need supercomputers?
A supercomputer can simulate all these interactions. Scientists can then take the data to learn useful insights, like whether it’ll rain tomorrow, if a new scientific theory is valid, or if an upcoming cancer treatment holds any promise.
How do you describe a motherboard?
The motherboard is a printed circuit board and foundation of a computer that is the biggest board in a computer chassis. It allocates power and allows communication to and between the CPU, RAM, and all other computer hardware components.